I asked my students to describe several concepts.
What is Peace?
1. Peace is when everything is quiet. Peace is not by itself. You always have to have peace and quiet. They come like that.
2. Peace is when everybody is happy.
3. Peace is a “piece” of something. But I guess if you give everybody a piece of this and a piece of that, they’ll be happy. Unless one of ‘em wants a big piece.
What is Love?
1. Love is what you get when you see your mom. It comes with dads too but mostly it’s with moms.
2. Love means you’re not mad.
3. Love is when everybody is happy. (This was child #2 who described Peace.)
What is hope?
1. Hope is like a wish. Like, I hope I get a new bike – a two wheeler.
2. Hope is something that can get you out of trouble. When you say, I hope they don’t see this!
3. You gotta have hope to keep the bad stuff from happening. It works like magic.
What is Faith?
1. Faith is always doing the right thing and not telling lies. It’s what they say in church.
2. Faith is …um,… uh,…um
3. Faith is when you have faith in somebody. That means you can trust ‘em.
What is Truth?
1. (This is child #1 in Faith) Can I change mine to truth? Cuz that’s when you don’t tell lies. Besides, I don’t know what faith is. I think old people have it.
2. It’s always telling the truth.
3. Well, sometimes truth can get you in trouble so that’s when you don’t tell it.
What is Trust?
1. That’s when you have to trust somebody not to tell the truth. (This is child #3 above.)
2. You can trust your friends ’cause they think just like you. (Same kid)
3. Trust is when you know something is not gonna happen.
What is Community?
1. That’s where you live.
2. It’s your neighborhood!
3. It’s all the people on your block.
Are we a community at school?
1. No. ‘Cause you have to live in a community.
2. It’s where your house is.
3. We can’t be a community in here because you’re the only one that lives at school. Kids can’t live at school. We have a house.
I think I can fix this.
Copyright © (2010) Diana (Diane) Maria